Sky-Tec Flyweight™ Starters for Continental aircraft engines feature superior design features over old, heavy, stock OEM starters including:
• Durable, reliable design
• All-in-one bolt-off/bolt-on installation
• Eliminates continuous duty clutch on smaller series engines
•Positive disengagement eliminates wear while your engine is running
•Significant torque increase/multiple gear reduction
•Decreased current draw
Safe for ALL TCM starter adapters!
ST5 series starters offer the following features:
• Powerful 2.2 kW high-torque, permanent magnet motor
• Faster cranking RPM - typically 10-25% faster than heavyweight starters.
• Light weight (9.1 lbs!);
• Proven gear reduction drive train tempers current draw;
• TCM starter adapter friendly electromechanically engaged/disengaged drive system provides instantaneous release of the starter adaptor wrap spring virtually eliminating starter-induced adapter wear.
• Approved and recommended for ALL starter adaptors ("classic style", "improved style", "permold", "sand cast", etc.)
• A simple, easy-to-install, bolt-off/bolt-on, maintenance-free starter that fits the entire "large" series Continental engines (with right-angle starter adapters) from O-300-D through TSIO-550 engines
• Attractively designed and affordably produced making it the first and only choice in lightweight large Teledyne Continental engine starters.
How is the ST5 starter different?
The ST5 starter couples a high power 2.2 kW motor with an innovative solenoid-engaged (and disengaged) drive system completely disengages the powerful permanent magnet motor while the starter is unpowered eliminating possible TCM starter adapter wear while providing authoritative, high-torque starting. Positive solenoid enabled engagement and disengagement allows the TCM starter adapter to fully unwrap under all normal operating conditions thus greatly prolonging starter adapter life.
How do I know which one to buy?
If your TCM engine has a right-angle starter adaptor at the rear of the engine and a clean source of nearly located battery voltage, chances are this starter is the right one for your application. Consult their extensive aircraft fit guide just to be sure.